After nearly a year, former CNN host Reza Aslan finally removed a tweet referring to Covington Catholic student Nicholas Sandmann’s “punchable face,” but that doesn’t mean the teen is willing to let bygones be bygones.
Sandmann attorney Todd V. McMurtry said Monday that Mr. Aslan is a “top” target of the teen’s legal team, which has already filed defamation lawsuits against NBCUniversal and the Washington Post, and reached a settlement last week with CNN.
“All I can say is that Nicholas Sandmann has not yet initiated legal action against Reza Aslan. He is one of our top ‘individual’ (non-corporate) targets,” said Mr. McMurtry in an email. “It is likely we will bring suit in time.”
Mr. Aslan, who hosted CNN’s “Believer” series until it was cancelled in 2017, tweeted on Jan. 19, 2019, “Honest question. Have you ever seen a more punchable face than this kid’s?”
The tweet, which showed a photo of the January 2019 standoff between Nicholas and elderly Native American activist Nathan Phillips, was removed last week, the day after CNN settled the $275 million lawsuit filed by the Sandmann family for an undisclosed amount.
Sandmann attorneys told a federal judge last week they plan to file lawsuits against as many as a dozen potential defendants in the next 30 to 60 days, Mr. McMurtry said.
Mr. Aslan is already a defendant in another Covington-related lawsuit: He was one of 12 media and political figures sued for defamation in August by 10 anonymous Covington Catholic High School students, a group that does not include Nicholas Sandmann.
The photo accompanying the Aslan tweet showed Nicholas and Mr. Phillips in the foreground and several other Covington teens in the background.