An instructor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is facing an assault charge following an altercation with an ex-Breitbart News writer during the Silent Sam protest last month.
Dwayne Dixon, who is listed as a teaching assistant professor in the UNC Department of Asian Studies, received a criminal summons for simple assault and warning of trespass 10 days after the Aug. 20 campus protest that saw the toppling of the controversial Silent Sam Confederate statue, Campus Reform reported Thursday.
According to the UNC Police incident report, obtained by Campus Reform, Mr. Dixon struck the victim in the face and head.
The school declined to comment on Mr. Dixon’s involvement, saying it’s a “personnel matter,” Campus Reform reported.
A poorly shot video published by Big League Politics Reporter Peter D’Abrosca purported to show the alleged attack. The video, which was recorded in mostly darkness, showed Mr. Dixon and Mr. Howley arguing before a physical scuffle ensued. Another man eventually stepped in and diffused the situation, the footage showed.
“He’s just a coward, he can’t even have a conversation,” Mr. Dixon said to the man in the video.
“You weren’t having a conversation, you assaulted me, dude,” Mr. Howley responded.
Mr. Howley told reporters last week that he backed up when the instructor put his hands on him.
“I didn’t touch him, and he grabbed the microphone in my hand and struck me repeatedly until his friends realized that he had gone too far and waved him away and calmed him down,” he said, The Herald Sun reported.
Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.