Former White House intern Monica Lewinsky blasted an Israeli news agency this week for cornering her with a question about former President Bill Clinton.
Ms. Lewinsky walked offstage Monday during an interview with Hadashot News’ Yonit Lev in Jerusalem over accusations of sandbagging. At issue was an agreement not to ask about her infamous affair with Mr. Clinton or a June interview he gave in which the #MeToo era was addressed.
“Former President Clinton was rather irate when he was asked if he ever apologized to you personally,” the anchor said. “He said, ‘I apologized publicly.’ Do you still expect that apology?”
“I’m so sorry,” Ms. Lewinsky responded. “I’m not going to be able to do this.”
“There were clear parameters about what we would be discussing and what we would not,” Ms. Lewinsky then wrote on Twitter. “In fact, the exact question the interviewer asked first, she had put to me when we met the day prior. I said that it was off limits. When she asked me it on stage, with blatant disregard for our agreement, it became clear to me I had been misled. I left because it is more important than ever for women to stand up for themselves and not allow others to control their narrative. To the audience: I’m very sorry that this talk had to end this way.”
Hadashot News countered in a statement: “We believe the question asked on stage was legitimate and respectful, and one that certainly does not go beyond Ms. Lewinsky’s requests and does not cross the line.”
Mr. Clinton told NBC’s “Today” show on June 4 that he appropriately handled the scandal during his time in the White House.
“I have never talked to her,” Mr. Clinton said. “But I did say publicly, on more than one occasion, that I was sorry. That’s very different. The apology was public.”
Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.